New Here?

New To Our Blog? Start Reading Here!

Monday, October 27, 2014

Week 37: Full Term Y'all

We hit 37 weeks, or FULL TERM, on Saturday!  Meaning Baby Girl can be born any day now (bring it on), the doctor would not do anything to delay the labor. We are still mentally preparing ourselves that BGC is going to be late, just in case.  Let's face it.  I couldn't get out the door on time in the morning even if my ass was on fire.  I take each "symptom" with a grain of salt and plan for the long haul.
How are you feeling Kate?  Well thanks for asking.  I waffle.  (mmmm, waffles)  I go back and forth between feeling the weight of a 7+ lb baby (+ 1.5lb placenta + 5lbs of amniotic fluid) sittin' on my lady junks.  


And then, sometimes, I get these random bursts of energy where  I can actually blow dry my hair without sitting on top of the toilet because I feel like this.

Also, remember last week when we mentioned that my midwife was concerned of my tachycardia (I was having random moments of racing HR- 120-130 where someone who is pregnant should be
between 80-90)?  Well I went to the cardiologist last week and she performed an EKG.  My blood pressure was normal and the tests all went well and we think it really comes back to pumping blood for two, being a little psychosomatic and that I'm in my 9th month of pregnancy and even getting off the couch requires the same back and forth rocking it takes to get my car out of the snow.  She offered an echocardiogram and a test where I would wear this little pack for a week that monitors my heart rate.  There's a little button I can press when I have racing moment and it would tag it.  I'm thinking it's overkill, but were going to ask our midwife for her opinion and then go on from there.

I also mentioned that I researched some natural ways to induce labor.  I've started using Evening Primrose Oil (sounds like a horrible hipster band) which is supposed to help ripen the cervix and shorten labor.  I also started taking Red Raspberry Leaf capsules which also help with labor.  Other
things we found are eating pineapple- the enzyme bromelain is thought to ripen the cervix and bring on labor.  I hate pineapple so I went, ignorantly, into a Vitamin Shoppe and bought the enzyme in capsule form straight up.  Also, the woman at the store asked what all these things were for and I felt like I was buying things to start a meth lab.  I have been adding cayenne pepper to anything and everything and Meg has down acupressure massage to my feet while I apply pressure to the points in my hand.  I mostly do these during meetings at work and probably look like this.

Other (ridiculous) things we found on the interwebs...

  • Blowing up balloons: the theory is that the build-up of abdominal pressure encourages labor to start.
  • Watch a weepy film and have a good cry.
  • Wear your best underwear (will ensure that your waters break in them).




We also had our weekly check-in this morning and ultrasound.  I want to first say I love our midwife.  I covered all the natural things we were doing and she was totally on board.  I began to tell her that I realized that I felt the heart palpitations were probably tied to the anxiety I feel about labor.  Not the physical pain, but that I don't trust my body.  My body hasn't been besties with me for most of my life- infections, surgeries, weight struggs, etc..  And I'm fearful, despite the fact I've had a very smooth pregnancy, that it will betray me.  






She immediately said that she wanted to help with that and said that if I haven't gone into labor at 39
weeks she will sweep my membranes to help kick things into gear.  Stripping membranes, sometimes called membrane sweeping, is a method used to try to start labor. The health care provider puts their finger into the cervix -- the mouth of the uterus -- and uses the finger to gently separate the bag of water from the side of the uterus near the cervix.  She mentioned that she was trying to think of anything with me that she could use as a reason to induce as the baby is ready (and so am I- my body is the final deciding factor of getting this party started), but everything has gone so well there's no excuse!  I am at ease that she said this- for many reasons.  And we KNOW BGC knows her internally decided eviction notice is November 2.  But should that date pass we are counting down to 39 when she can swiffer the crap out of me.  #ew

BONUS FEATURE!
During another successful BPP (Biophysical Profile) they were able to get a little shot of the side of BGC's face!

No comments:

Post a Comment